Sophisticated Traditional Folk
Euphonia, a café-style acoustic combo, features accordion, mandolin, guitar, and voices, and its repertoire takes listeners on a journey from the sophisticated sidewalks of Paris across the adventurous high seas to the hay-strewn dance floors of rural America.
- Paul Kotapish (Wake the Dead, Kevin Burke’s Open House, and Hillbillies From Mars) on mandolin creates melodies colored by his many years tickling the strings with the dance music of Europe and America.
- Sylvia Herold (Wake the Dead, Cats & Jammers), who adds rhythmic drive on guitar, delivers a wide-ranging repertoire with her pristine and compelling voice.
- Charlie Hancock (Swing Farm), who began his musical career playing jazz, is a sought-after pianist for contra dances, and his haunting accordion evokes images of old Europe.
- Brian Rice (Choro Famoso, Wake the Dead), a well-traveled and popular percussionist, adds a rhythmic Latin pulse to the musical mix.
- Chuck Ervin (Wakefield Jazz Quartet, Loose Gravel) plucks and bows jazz-inflected double bass and sings harmony.